Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Summers in NY

New crib loftin'

Warhols

SoHo

Madoff, would still be on the 17th floor, but
he didn't take breaks from work...

Dillion's

Big apple sesh

Bello Mafio

Boycotting belts

cvh & em

Returning from NYC for the second time this summer, cleared my mind and re defined my idea of what really being successful is about. Don't think that this means that you should abandon all previous ideas and theories. It just means in a time where things are evolving at a rapid pace, it's nice to spend some time with people that don't piss you off, and draw inspiration from a different location. However, this trip was different from the last one. A tight budget and 4 days for peasure/business gives you little time to enjoy things like; shopping, bottle service, Canal Street bartering, etc... The goal; to go on a PR tour through the Hamptons while getting to enjoy the city for a couple days. Ironic isn't it? Going to the city was more important than staying longer in Southampton. There was a good reason though. Last time with Grizz, I was unable to shoot any HD video, and this time I was accompanied by a Canon XL-A1. Great compact shooter. Upon color correction, rivals the HVX. Without turning this into too much of a nerd spotlight, NY has to be one of the most Cinegenic (totally made that up) cities in the world. I will just let the video speak for itself. That will be posted in the next couple days. I feel relieved to come back, look at my city and town from a different point of view, and push forward with my personal goals. Try it. I know often there are articles in the Lodge posted about cars, clothes, gold toilets etc.... These things are all great, and I for one need them to stay sane and enjoy living on this planet, and certainly abandoning all responsibilities would be foolish, however... There IS a time to lean back, enjoy a new place and absorb the world like a sponge. I enjoyed SoHo, Central Park, and everywhere in between.I walked the streets of New York, like a washed up Californian, pushing through the crowds and unruly children to film the creative shots that have become buried under newer business speculations and the obsession of staying on top of bills. Lost under a pile of paper work and contracts, the old days of walking around and just filming people and watching the world are gone. For me at least, my dry streak ended after this trip. I used my cinematography degree and gathered some great shots. What I can offer you today is one piece of advice and one one piece only; Take breaks so you can work harder, nobody wants to work with a grouch and no one can grow as a person under constant stress. Believe it or not, that business trip you keep telling yourself you'll go on when you have enough in the savings to expand your network, is the key to making those accounts roll in. That is the key to success. You have to spend a little, to get your mind right. Do this by leaving whatever you are doing immediately and get out! Tomorrow isn't soon enough. Enjoy the photos. They were shot by a very lovely and talented Chelsea Vanhouten.

Stay inspired Gents

J.E. Albert

1 comments:

Chazz said...

always looking stylish J.E.